writer's group, prompt "at the mall"
from evy's notebook
- $40 jeans, the first pair i didn't buy second-hand. we spent enough that it came with a keychain.
- $5 mystery bags at ardene that were mostly full of random crap but occasionally came with something i really liked. there were a lot of earrings in those bags, and my ears weren't pierced, but i kept them in a big pottery bowl just in case i pierced my ears one day.
- zellers, which dad called k-mart even though i had no memory of that store ever existing. later target bought all the zellers and went out of business in canada only months later. i wonder what's there now.
- a summer camp called "girls just wanna have fun". we took the city bus to a mall and got our nails painted and i spent money on a big plastic bin of sour gummy worms.
- santa claus, or rather someone dressed up as him. i knew the kids believed he was real and felt queasy thinking about it.
- him, us, sitting in the food court, forearms touching, he moved his away. he had been paranoid he was coming off as creepy, even though i'd been the one who kept moving my arm closer.
- you, and all the times you said how much you loved malls. i didn't know where to take you when you visited in new york, but it turns out the structure i walked by every day was the glossy white ceiling of a glossy white cavern of shops under the busy streets.